Cut holes for cornering lamps

65GS4SPD

I found a car already painted unfortunately it doesn't have cornering lamps. I think the 63 Wildcat looks naked without cornering lamps. I found a pair but before I spend the money I want to know how to cut the holes. I called a custom builder in Detroit and they'll do it, but they are booked 2 years out. I have watched videos on YouTube and done some research on power nibblers. If anyone could provide their experience I am all ears.

In my 33 years in the construction industry I never cut a hole in a painted car body.....lol

Nibbler or about 170 3/32" drill bit holes. Worse case scenario I chip the paint beyond the flange of the cornering lamp and have to repaint the area forward of the wheel well, below the slab of fender molding to front.

A Unibit, or step drill, makes a nice starting hole.
The concern with a nibbler is that it may mark or damage paint on the back side near the cut, especially on a curved surface (may not be a problem if there is enough cover from the trim piece). Some experimentation with an old fender may be in order.
You could also use a panel cutter and die grinder. The concern with these would be heat damage to the paint near the cut. Some patience could avoid that. Maybe even a flow of water over the area could solve it.

Back