Carter AFB float adjustments 1966 401

I'm finally getting around to assembling my carburetor and I'm at the stage where I set the floats.

The literature from the rebuild kit gives different values than the original literature (1966 service manual from here plus a tech sheet from Carter for 1966 Buicks) but I'm guessing that the original numbers are what I should be using.

I'm supposed to set the float level and float drop at the non hinged end, at the corners nearest the air horn. The values are given in thirty seconds of an inch, so I would be inclined to think therey are very small tolerances allowed, but there is also the fact that the corners of the floats are rounded, so I'm not sure exactly where to set them.

Do I go to the end of the flat section of the float? Am I overthinking this and it's going to be good even if I'm out a bit? Is there any reason not to follow the original specs (7/32 for the level and minimum 3/4 for the drop)?

jeremy

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

jeremy,

The float level is 7/32nds. Measured approx. 1/2"-3/4" back from the front of the float. That's almost impossible with the paper float gauge included with most kits. For ease of simplisity I use a 7/32nds. drill bit. Now you can put a little pressure against the gasket at the same time to get a more accurate adjustment.

Tom T.

Thanks for the reply, I'm just getting around to setting them today.

I can't imagine anyone trying to do set the floats with that little piece of paper.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back