Camshaft & crankshaft alignment

iddie makel

I hate to be a pain,but I have two more questions.Is it okay to put lubriplate motor assembly grease on my lifters before dropping them in? I've been greasing everything in sight.
When I install the timing chain and sprockets the manual says"turn camshaft so that the sprocket key points straight down towards crankshaft".Does the crankshaft sprocket key have to be in a specific location?As always,thanks in advance.
iddie :confused:

You are going to have to put the gears on the cam and the crank. The gear will only fit on when the key is lined up. The gears will have timing marks on them which you will then line up.

Iddie, You have a 50 straight 8 right? 2 of the links on your timing chain should be copper. These should line up with the timing marks on the crank and cam gears. I believe there 10 links apart and should line up on the right side. Oh yea and Lubriplate should be fine.

Iddie
The marks are to the side the Cam gear key way down and 12 teeth from onr msark to the other on chain. E-mail me at
sjmodels (at) datasync (dot) com
( at is @ and dot is . )
I'll send a .jpg from the 56 shop manual.

Great Balls Of Fire & Judd,Thanks for responding.I have a '55 special 264 With 3 speed.I don't see any shiny links on the timing chain.should I install the rocker shafts before or after installation of the sprockets & chain.The heads are installed.
iddie :confused:

Iddie

No shinny links are there and I woudn't assemble rockers till I had cam aligned. If you e-mail me at address in my last reply I'll send the picture from the shop manual ( page 2-27 in the 56 manual ).

Thanks Judd,
I've been dragging my feet partly due to my frustration with my inability to do this,and partly because I knew my limitations,and that is why I decided to let someone with experience do the rebuilding.I'm just getting over the fact that the Buick club President here recommended the rebuilder,the rebuilder kept my engine for 6 months,and then left me with a partially rebuilt engine.END OF WHINE. :D I'll e-mail you,but I have no confidence in my ability to do this.I think I have a mental block.
Neandertal AKA iddie

Back