Cam Degreeing

alrobjr

When degreeing a cam with the heads on, do I place the dial indicator on the no.1 piston push rod with the old lifter or new lifter?

It wouldn't matter, but you shouldn't have your rocker arms installed yet. You will have to find a way to drive the dial gauge firmly, and trying to set it on a pushrod does not sound good. If you intake is still off, you may be able to fit it directly on the lifter.

cam degreeing

Thanks a lot Mr. Bob for the information.My intake is still off and I have degreed the cam so far,I'm just trying to get the correct way to position the dial indicator to the lifter.

In theory, the dial indicator should be perfectly verticle to the lifter. All you really have to find with it is the TDC, that can be found even if the indicator is at a slight angle. When at an angle all that is compromised is the lobe lift, but that is not needed for the degreeing.

You may be able to take a lifter apart and get a piece of shafting that fits nicely into it that will bring the contact point above the head or deck surface to a hieght that is nice for the dial gauge. (I don't remember if it's 5/8" or 3/4").

Back