Buick V6 engine identification

jimmes

Hi - This is Jim. I purchased a 1963 Willys Station Wagon with a transplant GM (I think Buick) V6 and I'm trying to accurately identify the year of the engine. The number on the intake manifold above the bell housing is B-1376389. The number on the block below the driver side head is K-130023. There is also a number on the head under the valve cover that starts with GM. I haven't got the full number. Can anyone help me identify this engine. For what's it's worth it has a Holley series 2280 carburetor on top. Thanks - I appreciate your help - Jim

Jim, the characters stamped into the block are the best way to identify these engines. See attached page from the '74 Chilton repair manual Jeep chapter. This shows the 1967-71 Buick/Jeep V6 codes. Another site, www.earlyCJ5.com indicates there is a third letter in front indicating Domestic/Military/Export. Then there will be 3 numerals at the end for date of production. A Buick V6 of the '60s built for car usage will have only 2 letters then 3 digits. Those engines can be decoded from the Reference section on this site.

The assumption so far is that the engine dates from this period. The manifold casting number looks close to other Buick casting numbers of this time. These early V6s use a distributor with breaker points. The cap will be the odd-fire design that looks like an 8-cylinder cap with 2 of the posts blanked off. Engine will not have much pollution equipment on it either. Does this sound like yours?

It could also be some later Buick V6 from a car. Features would typically be HEI pointless electronic distributor, regular even-fire 6 post cap, more pollution equipment. Although it might not be original to the engine, we can examine the distributor part number.

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
V6 Identification

Thanks Todd - I'm finally getting back to the project and will look for the places you identified to see what numbers I come up with. From all the other information about the engine I'm fairly certain it's a 1963-1966. Thanks - Jim

These early V6s use a distributor with breaker points.
True.
The cap will be the odd-fire design that looks like an 8-cylinder cap with 2 of the posts blanked off.
Not true.

On the oddfire V6's with points, they will have either a Prestolite or a Delco distributor. Both use a regular-looking smallish (non-HEI small) distributor cap with 6 evenly spaced plug wire towers (60° spaced). Only the HEI distributors in the later 231 motors had the large caps with a couple of 'blank' towers. To account for the rotor on the 'points' type distributor not really lining up perfectly with the individual towers, the rotor has an elongated tab to transfer the energy to the distributor cap towers, such as in this picture:

13a.jpg

The HEI caps used a regular-looking rotor with the elongated 'tabs' on the underneath of the distributor cap (instead of on the rotor, but accomplishing the same thing).

I know the thread is a few months old, but I keep reading that 'if the distributor has even towers, it must be an even fire), which is not the case. Been keeping my old 225 odd-fire running for 30+ years, so I have a little bit of first-hand knowledge.

Good Description

Thanks EchoWars - Your description of the distributor cap is exactly what I have. After some parts searching and roundabout reasoning I've determined this engine is a 1966 Buick V6 that runs well after sitting outside and not being run for at least 10 years. It should do well in powering the 1963 Willys wagon.

I should have denoted that correctly. Time for 6 lashes with a wet shop manual:clonk:

Back