Axle removal 73 Electra 225

Having some issues with removing the ables on my 73 Electra. Has a bad axle seal that needs replaced. Had to drive out the differential cross pin as it was wedged into the spider gears (yes I had removed the cross pin bolt) then from everything I've seen the axles should just push in and you remove a c clip to pull the axles. My axles only move an eighth of an inch, and not sure where the c clip is going to be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220227_193750634.jpg
    IMG_20220227_193750634.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 14
Once you have the pinion shaft out, the C-clips sit recessed into the side gears. You should be able to push the axle in and the groove for the clip will move to into the carrier to enable its removal.
If you cannot see the C-clips, perhaps you have the other style differential as described in the manual on page 4B-33:
in which case, you use an axle puller to pull the axle. There is also a poor picture of the end of the axle and the C-clip on page 4B-33.

A '73 does NOT have C-Clips retaining the rear axles from my memory. Just remove the 4 bolts that hold on the backing plate & the axle should pull out. It could ALSO be rusted in there & not come out easily. In that case install the brake drum backwards, install the lug nuts backwards, loosely, & using the drum as a slide hammer remove the axle. ALSO IF I remember correctly the actual seal is part of the bearing meaning that the axle bearing will have to be replaced.
This is where a Chassis Manual comes into play & should be in your arsenal of needed parts.

Tom T.

Those can really get rusted in there over time. You can rent a slide hammer that fits three of the lugs if nothing else works. I have had to do that at least once.

Back