Advice on Dynaflow Tranny leak.

Bought a fixer upper a couple months ago. 52 Super. Put it up on four jack stands and creeped under the monster car and the Dynaflow Transmission is leaking a good amount from the rear where it connects to the drive shaft somewhere. Is there a seal there or something? Need some advice on what to do next. Don't have any buddies to turn to really for help. May be able to get it on a lift for a short time. Being under the beast on jack stands is really scary and just cant see much in such a tight spot. Any ideas and advice will be extremely appreciated. I love this car and have done a good bit of minor repairs to it but really need help with this. Thank you.

Joe, welcome. Yeah, Buick torque tubes leak. How bad is yours? Bad enough to need fluid added, 500 miles, 2500 mile? If not too bad, I would live with it. It is not such a bad job job after one has done it a couple times. First time can be a bear.
You should get a genuine Buick Shop Manual or at least download the one here in the reference section. Step by step instructions for that job.

Good luck
Ben

Thanks a million Ben. It leaks pretty bad, about a drip every 10 or 15 seconds just sitting there. Seems like about a quart a week. Started catching it and filtering to reuse, cant keep buying that much. I have an old orig. shop manual for 52 Buick. Found a place talking about the Torque Ball that has a seal and some shims. Kinda hard to understand but still looking for something about the Torque tube and the step by step fix you mentioned. Got to get it done eventually. Will be catching filtering and reusing for now and adding the STP Blue bottle once in a while. That stuff is nice and thick but hasn't seemed to slow the leak down any.

Joe, in my '50 manual, section 5 has directions for removal of the rear end assembly. Do that to remove the torque ball assembly. like I said, first time is intimidating.If you get into it and find the torque ball is scored or pitted, I have a new one available.

Ben

Thank you Ben. Is there a list on this site showing what location members are in so I might see if anyone is near me? Im in central Alabama. Will be a while before Im able to do that work but will definitely get back to you. Thanks again.

Back