'69 Skylark won't start.Help.

I left the ign on overnight and killed the battery. New battery, cranks but won't start.
Also had the Q jet off for a rebuild at the same time. I doubt its a fuel issue since even
with a gulp of petrol down the Q jet, not so much as a cough. I'll sort out the fuel side later.

I get 12V at the coil with the igniton on- should it be lower? I'm assuming a reistance
wire should be dropping the voltage to 7 or so volts.?

Get 12 V at the points. Coil fires a spark when cranking, not huge, but it's there.

Coil is a Delco-Remy- looks ancient so I assume it's original. Could I have damaged the condensor and/or coil? Like I said, the coil sparks. Gave the points a clean, have continutity across them when closed.

My thoughts are to try another coil from my collection tonight.

Any help is most welcome & appreciated. I'd buy you a beer but Australia is quite a drive away. Even in a Buick.

This isn't for points ignition, but most of it still applies:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/diagnosis/diagnosis_1977.php

It won't be your problem, but you should get 12V at the coil only in start position, in run, it should be resisted. As long as you have voltage in both positions, it should start and run.

Tried another coil from my 'stock', regapped the points. It lives. Now to find a new coil and a ballast reistor. The engine bay has been rewired, and the wire to the coil looks
nothing like the white reistance wire I'm used to.

Thank you for replying Bob,

Cheers,

Chris

All good, she's registered and on the road. Plan is to put some miles on her over the holidays.

Thanks for all replies.

Chris

Back