67 Skylark engine size

HI all. Brand new member here as well as a new owner of a 67 Skylark convertible. Full disclosure: I've always had vintage Mopars but the 66 and 67 Skylarks have always been eye candy for me. Anyway, I bought the car through an estate sale and while there were original docs with the car, I could find nothing to identify the engine size/displacement. In researching on-line, I found that the engine colors were green or red. This car has an orange engine but missing the labels on the valve covers. They appear to have vanished over time and heat. Was orange an engine color in 67? I've attached pics in hopes that this well help in identification. Also, I need an engine oil dipstick, as the current one has worn at the 'stop' where it enters the block. It is part 1375251 and has no tube. Many many thanks for any assistance. Joel

Attachments

• engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 28
  • engine4.jpg
    engine4.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 23
  • engine5.jpg
    engine5.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 21
If it has four bolt valve covers it is either a 300 or 340. If it has a four barrel carb it is most likely a 340 as there were no 4 barrel 300s in 67 - only 2 barrels. If the engine is not original, all bets are off!

Six bolt valve covers would be a Buick 350 from 68 on. They are almost a direct swap for a 300 or 340.

Last edited:
My guess ( need better picks ). If thats a original motor. Red is 340.... 350 is red also but not made in 67... 68 and never and 6 bolts like said above... Green is 300...
Valve cover angles if the VCs are at a 45 degree like most V8s 340.. If they are more flat maybe 10-15 edgree pitch 300.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I've included a couple of more photos. The orange paint has me baffled, but it has the four-bolt valve cover and 4 barrel carb, so I'm guessing it is a 340, just not painted red. The orange looks like Chevy (gasp!) orange. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 22
  • valvecover1.jpg
    valvecover1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 19
  • carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 20
This pic shows the casting number of B1379758E. Another member queried about this same number in 2008. The conclusion then was it is a 340/4. Thanks again for all of the input. Sleuthing on this old cars is kind of fun. Have a great holiday!

Attachments

• enginecasting.jpg
    enginecasting.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8
An original engine with original paint tends to fade to an orangish shade of red. If you put Chevy orange next to it you will see the difference and the red pigments show up. Just rebuilt and painted my engine this year. If you really want to see what the original color looked like pull the engine and look under the motor mounts.

An original engine with original paint tends to fade to an orangish shade of red. If you put Chevy orange next to it you will see the difference and the red pigments show up. Just rebuilt and painted my engine this year. If you really want to see what the original color looked like pull the engine and look under the motor mounts.
I think your idea of the paint having faded has real merit. 53 years of use has to have caused some fading and changes in the paint. I'm going to continue tinkering and investigating - and enjoying - the car!

Back