67 Riviera 3 point seatbelt anchors

DMJ

Hi guys I live in Sydney Australia and recently acquired a 67 Riviera from a friend in San Diego CA and would like to replace the front lap only seatbelts with new shoulder 3 point seat belts. Does anyone know exactly where the seat belt roof mount is located ? I couldn't find anything in the manual and don't want to tear a hole in the roof lining -- in the wrong place.

I didn't know the shoulder strap was even an option in '67, but now I think it may have been. I don't know anything about it, but in case it helps you here is a shot of the area that it would mount in on the driver's side.
seat_belt.JPG

Thanks Bob, appreciate the response, I didn't realise the support bracket would be so far back, but makes sense.
Apparently 1967 was the first year GM introduced some additional safety measures including a collapsable steering column and dual braking system.

Sorry, I don't know where I got the idea you were working on a '67 Skylark 2dr coupe, but that is what the picture is for! I wouldn't be surprised if the Riviera is similar. Here is an image of the same area in a '66 Riviera.
riv_roof.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know where I got the idea you were working on a '67 Skylark 2dr coupe, but that is what the picture is for! I wouldn't be surprised if the Riviera is similar. Here is an image of the same area in a '66 Riviera.
View attachment 13207
Hi Bob, I don't believe the 66 Riv had the 3 point option [I think the 67 was the first] From the photo there doesn't appear to be any mounting for the seat belt. Thanks for your help but I still need to see a photo of a 67 or later so I know where to start looking. Thanks Dennis

Dennis,
Attached are the 1967 Fisher Body Manual pages on the shoulder belts. Unfortunately the exact locations of the roof mounted holes were included only with the shoulder belt kits. For what it's worth also included is a page from the '68 sales brochure showing the shoulder belt in use. The roof mounting holes look to be just in front of the coat hook on 2-door hardtops like seen in Bob's first picture.

Guys asking similar questions on
other sites for '67 Camaros and GTOs find similar positioning. One noted the rear threaded shoulder bolt hole is about 1 inch in front of the coat hook. And the front threaded hole is about 2 inches in front of the rear threaded hole. Not sure what the purpose is for the unthreaded center hole.

A suggestion was made there to probe the headliner gently with the eraser end of a pencil to find the shoulder bolt holes.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.JPG
    IMG_2079.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    522.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    453.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks Todd
Appreciate the help,
The shoulder belt kit I purchased from Retro Belt has a single bolt for the roof mount [see photo]
I will ask Retro Belt if they have any information on the position of the mount.
Regards Dennis roof mount bolt.jpg

Back