67 GS 400 trunk torsion rods install

Shakadula51

Finally found a set of replacement torsion rods for my car. Now I have no idea how to install them. Does anyone have illustrations or pictures you a 67 trunk so I may install without breaking them cause I don't think I'll find another set. Thanks. I have the 67 manuals but they are not helping me.

Is this the image you would like?

I have never changed any, but it looks like you would put it through to the trunk hinge then locate the adjustable end on the other side if that is clear as mud:)

Images had to be reduced in size.

Attachments

• trunk1.jpg
    trunk1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 26
  • trunk2.jpg
    trunk2.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 26
Not my GS400, but a 1967 Skylark parts car. They are the same as in my car though.

What do yours look like?

Attached are two pics

This is the left side of the trunk. 1st pic is of the inner side of the left hinge and that looks the same. The 2nd pic is of the outter side of the left hinge and you can see an additional "floating" hook looking thing. Sorry I don't know the proper names for this stuff but this floating hinge is on both sides of the trunk. I don't know if the square end of the rods go into this floating hinge or not. Seems to me it does.

that floating hinge does pivot forward and back.

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Just thought that your 67 is a parts car

So it could be missing those floating/swinging hinges located on the outside of the trunk hinges on both sides. Thoughts?

GM calls the small swinging piece the link. The piece the trunk lid bolts to is called the strap. If I am analyzing the blown-up photos correctly, the links are in the proper operating position in Bob's photo. The hook on the link points to the front of the car and is held up by the torsion rod. If the link on yours is swung up horizontal pointing to the front, maybe it will look like Bob's parts car?

See the attached pages from the 67 Fisher Body manual that show how to remove/install/adjust the torsion rods. That special tool should make all the difference for easy installation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 18
Maybe I just don't see the swinging link

GM calls the small swinging piece the link. The piece the trunk lid bolts to is called the strap. If I am analyzing the blown-up photos correctly, the links are in the proper operating position in Bob's photo. The hook on the link points to the front of the car and is held up by the torsion rod. If the link on yours is swung up horizontal pointing to the front, maybe it will look like Bob's parts car?

See the attached pages from the 67 Fisher Body manual that show how to remove/install/adjust the torsion rods. That special tool should make all the difference for easy installation.

What i am trying to figure out is where does the square end of the rod go. Does the short open side go into the hook pf the swinging link or does the closed side go into the link? I can't tell from the pictures.

What i am trying to figure out is where does the square end of the rod go. Does the short open side go into the hook pf the swinging link or does the closed side go into the link? I can't tell from the pictures.

I can't tell from the pictures either. Still don't have a good concept of what the rods look like lying out on the ground. The part numbers are different for the left and the right rod. Would assume one is just formed as the mirror image of the other.

I think the rod that is adjusted on the right side of the trunk comes over to the left side, passes through the support bracket and the curls up in sort of a "J" shape. Then the hooks of the left link grab the short end of the J shape.

As the trunk lid is lowered, the link presses against the rod and winds it up tighter than it already is. Likewise when the trunk is opened, the rod unwinds and forces the link to push against strap which assists in raising the lid.

If you notice the first picture I uploaded shows the three tension adjustment slots. That would be the second step of the installation I would try. The first would be to get the rod U through and hooked to the trunk hinge which you see high in the second photo which was taken from the wheel well side.

The hinged piece on the wheel well side in your image is down a long way from where it will sit once the rods are install as they are in my image.

Update

No update. Haven't installed them yet. Working on a high heat/temp issue. May have to post on that later if I can't figure it out.

Update. Got the rods installed by a body shop for $50. The problem is now the left upper corner of the deck lid is out of alignment in that it sits higher. Any thoughts?

UPDATE. Went back to the shop and they corrected the problem. Seems the trunk hinge was hitting on the torsion rod on the left side. Now, on to the next issue.

BTW, I really appreciate all the help I receive on these forums. I attempted to replace the torsion rods myself but just got scared of the torque necessary to get them into place so I chose to take them to a body shop. Took them two attempts but it is right now. All information I received from these forums were right on the mark. Sometimes a man just has to know his limitations.

Back