66 Wildcat Power Steering Pulley

xgregx

Hello all,
I need a power steering pulley for my '66 Wildcat. Seems like '66 is an oddball year for pulleys. Does anyone know where I can one?
I need a 9/16" bore, single grove, for 7/16 V belt.
Also, does anyone know if the later years ('68+ )power steering pump work with a '66 bracket? Seems like everyone sells those pumps and the pulley that go with them. If I can't get an original pulley I might try using the later generation pump.
Thanks!
Greg

The pulley is GM part no 1370988. It was used on ‘66 nailheads with PS, less A/C, thermal fan clutch, AIR pump. There was some crossover into ‘65 where it was used on nailheads with PS, less A/C, HD cooling.

These original pulleys show up on eBay at times. With luck the the part number can be found stamped on the cone of the pulley.

Attachments

• 66 Pulleys.pdf
    167.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hey Todd and Ted,
Thanks for the info. That Pulley chart will come in handy. It is an A/C car, and as far as I can tell the PS pump is original, or at least the original model for the car which was used on 62-66 Wildcats. The part number on the pulley that was on there is 1374704, and it uses the smaller 9/16" bore. That part # is not on the list that Todd attached, so I wonder if it is original to the car. I found a pulley on Ebay that appears the be the same shape as the one it's supposed to replace for a 64 Electra/LeS/Riv/Wildcat. Only issue is it has the larger 5/8" bore. I might be able to adapt it to the smaller shaft or find a pump with a 5/8" shaft. I'll keep digging. Thanks again for the info guys.
Greg

Greg, the 1374704 is a PS pulley for a ‘66 nailhead with A/C and an AIR pump. It would be the original pulley if the car was originally sold in California.

The only other usage of that part number was for the AIR pump driven pulley on some ‘66 Gran Sports.

Attached are the text pages from the 1972 edition parts book giving pulley details.

Attachments

• PS pulley 1374704.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 66 AIR pump pulley 1374704.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi Todd,
Thanks so much for the info. This car doesn't have an AIR pump, but it certainly could have at some point in it's life. Hopefully the pulley I found will work. Man, '66 had a lot of one-off parts that year. Recently discovered the $10 motor mounts everyone sells don't work on a '66. At least my originals aren't bad and there are place that rebuild them.
Greg

I will try to check my pulleys - I should have one- and I cannot think why it would differ from the 65. I've got a couple 66 engines in 65 model cars. Here is one that came to me with a 425 Q-Jet engine :)

Attachments

• IMG_07421.jpeg
    IMG_07421.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
IF I remember correctly the shaft size went from 9/16ths. '64 & back to 5/8ths. '65 & up being the only difference.
So what Ted has should work.

Tom T.

Thanks for all the help guys. I got a reman PS pump today that has the 5/8" shaft, so now I have a pump and pulley that match! Phew! I think I'm in good shape. I'm hoping the belts all line up when this stuff goes back together. I also figured out today that my rear end gasket is not the one all the parts catalogs say I should have for a 10 bolt. I think I found the right one for a '64 Wildcat. It's the square-ish 10 bolt cover. Seems like a lot of parts from '64 still made their way into my '66. I guess the factory was using up all existing stock of parts.

Yes, caution is well-advised on the differential carrier gasket. There is a lot of bad application data out there. The Buick Master Parts Book shows 1966-70 big cars use a 1367834 gasket. 1961-65 big cars use a 1196018 gasket.

The proper part numbers along with application data and pictures are shown at vendor:

Www.buickfarm.com

RockAuto shows the FelPro RDS 30132 replaces OEM part 1367834. The picture looks to be the correct gasket. It is shown under ‘64 Buicks which is wrong. It does not show up under ‘66 Buicks.

At least there seems to be good availability. Disregard if you have figured this out already.

Last edited:
When Tom said this about the PS pump pulley:
IF I remember correctly the shaft size went from 9/16ths. '64 & back to 5/8ths. '65 & up being the only difference.
It got me thinking about the Diff gasket. So I looked around on Rockauto under the '64 Wildcat and found what looks to be the right gasket.
Many thanks to the brain trust of users here! I'm learning more and more that '66 is a weird year. Before I replace anything I always check the old and new part to make sure they're the same, but I'm going to be extra careful! I'll measure everything with calipers if I need to !

Thanks for all the help guys. I got a reman PS pump today that has the 5/8" shaft, so now I have a pump and pulley that match! Phew! I think I'm in good shape. I'm hoping the belts all line up when this stuff goes back together. I also figured out today that my rear end gasket is not the one all the parts catalogs say I should have for a 10 bolt. I think I found the right one for a '64 Wildcat. It's the square-ish 10 bolt cover. Seems like a lot of parts from '64 still made their way into my '66. I guess the factory was using up all existing stock of parts.Crafting a standout resume is an art, and your wealth of experience as an electrician is a valuable palette to draw from. Start by emphasizing your 14 years of dedicated service and highlight the achievement of obtaining your master's license for the past five years. Tailor your resume to showcase relevant skills and accomplishments, demonstrating how your expertise aligns with the engineering intern position. Remember, authenticity shines through. For more in-depth guidance, consider checking out thesis writing service (https://essaypro.cоm/thesis-writing-service) to discover insights that may enrich your resume-writing journey. Best of luck on this exciting career transition!
Hurray, I'm happy for you. It's good that everything worked out for you

Back