66 Riviera exhaust system replacement advice

I need to replace the exhaust system on my 1966 Riviera. What's a good reliable source for a complete kit? Should I go Aluminum or Stainless steel? should I add resonators (it doesn't have them now)? Would appreciate advice from anyone who has replaced their exhaust system in Buicks of this era.

www.TAPerformance.com has shorty headers, but you'd have to fab the rest of the system.

they've got kits for 63-65 and 67-70. the problem with 1966 is that it was the first year of a new E-body generation and 1966 was also the last year of the Nailhead. so in a lot of ways, 66 is a very unique model.

Other sources are:
Buick Riviera Exhaust System on Ebay

Waldron Exhaust

For the amount we drive our cars, and the fair weather drivers we tend to be, I do think the Aluminized steel systems are just fine.

Yes, I had checked out the ebay systems and the bends looked crimped.
The service manual doesn't have an exhaust system diagram of the Riviera but I hope the Wildcat & Electra fig 80-14 is the same.
Waldron's looks like a good alternative based on the pics they show.
I was hoping someone has been down this road and tell me how they made out.
I wonder why TA requires shorty headers (which are very expensive for 2 of them) for the 425 nailhead but doesn't have an exhaust pipe fitting for it. Or better yet, why they don't have a fitting for the manifold exhaust pipe.
Thanks for your help.

The Riviera exhaust is quite a bit different from the Electra/Wildcat layout. Attached are the pages from the 1972 Buick Master Chassis Parts book.

It was common to leave out the resonators when repairing the exhaust system. Attached is a page from the 1979 AP muffler replacement catalog showing tail pipes which eliminated the resonators. Before the stainless steel systems were used, owners did not like the expense of having to replace 4 mufflers instead of two if it could be avoided.

Dual exhaust systems were further criticized by owners who drove the cars around mostly on short trips of say 1-2 miles. The side with the exhaust heat riser valve would rust out sooner due to not reaching full temperature. This would result in excess water build up. Also the resonators, being farther back, would run cooler than the main mufflers.

The units had small drain holes to let water escape, however owners seldom checked to see the openings were clear. Shops sometimes would install the unit with the hole up instead of down causing early rust-out.

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 66-67 exhaust.pdf
    342.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks Todd and Steve for your input.
As Bob initially said...I have a delimma! A "nailhead" on an "E" body and Steve adds "and the only 66 with an "X" frame.
My concern is ordering a system from these outfits that say their kits fit the 66 Riviera, having it shipped to me and finding out they don't fit.
The pictures of their systems layout (on eBay and Waldron's) don't look like the system layout in my Riv.
attached are a couple of photos showing the exhaust system in my Riv.
John

Attachments

• exhaust 0.JPG
    exhaust 0.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 9
  • exhaust 1.jpg
    exhaust 1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back