455 exhaust flange

Brademan

So, here goes. I have a 1974 455 engine that I acquired hooked to a T400 transmission. It came with most of the stuff and the only thing I can find missing is the right side exhaust flange. It seems to be a ninja so I am wondering if anyone knows of a source for these? I have the left side, but they appear different. Any help would be appreciated.

So, here goes. I have a 1974 455 engine that I acquired hooked to a T400 transmission. It came with most of the stuff and the only thing I can find missing is the right side exhaust flange. It seems to be a ninja so I am wondering if anyone knows of a source for these? I have the left side, but they appear different. Any help would be appreciated.
Edit: To add to this, the right side outflow at the flange seems to be odd as well. With noo flange on the header, the end seems to have a lip of some kind that extends outside the flat of the header where the flange would fit up. I can't get a picture of it but it is not the broken end of another pipe. I've not run into this before. Any thoughts would help.

A picture would help a lot.
Here is a link to the 400/430/455 casting numbers in the reference section. Find the exhaust manifold part. You will notice some numbers are links. The links will show images find yours or a similar one. Place a link back to your here.

A picture would help a lot.
Here is a link to the 400/430/455 casting numbers in the reference section. Find the exhaust manifold part. You will notice some numbers are links. The links will show images find yours or a similar one. Place a link back to your here.
I dont find a link here. Am I missing something?

I think you are talking about the heat riser valve that is on the end of the manifold. It keeps heat in the engine until the butterfly inside opens.

There is a valve on the driver side flange all right. None on the right side. If there is supposed to be one then I'll have to find a source for that too, as well as the flange itself. Am I on the right track?

Left and right have to be difined when refering to an engine. Most use right as drivers side, and left as passenger.
Do not use left or right as it can be misinterpreted. Use Drivers and passengers side. Your drivers side should have a manifold similar to https://www.teambuick.com/reference/images/casting/1246671.png , which as Dr. Frankbuick mentioned carries a heat riser.
The passenger side should have a manifold similar to https://www.teambuick.com/reference/images/casting/1233451.png

A picture of the manifold showing your problem would be "clarifying".

Always confusing which side is which, depending on whether you're looking from the front or rear. I'll follow your suggestion.

I am going to get a picture, as I mentioned ed. The build is going on at my buddy's shop about 40 miles from me, so I'll go out ther and get a decent picture.

I have the drivers side heat riser and flange. It is the passenger side flange I am missing. I appreciate the help on this. Never built a Buick motor and it's an education!

Well, I got a good look at the passenger side flange and it is a number B1238094. Now, the picture in the link above only shows that number for the 75 motor and mine is a 74. Same number, same flange, I assume. https://www.teambuick.com/reference/images/casting/1238094.png The domed lip on the outside (downstream) of that flange is simply there for fitment, right? I can get the exhaust flange all right, but is there supposed to be a heat riser on that side too? Thanks to everyone here for the help and advice. I'm getting closer!

Back