430 Question

68 wildcat

Hi all, My 68 Wildcat has 86,000 Mi on the engine and I'm hearing a very slight random tick/rattle coming from the timing chain area. At what mileage would it be prudent to check or replace the timing chain? The previous owner was elderly and judging from the almost total lack of varnish/dirt under the valve covers, I would say was very diligent about oil changes.
I have only driven the car locally, but don't want to stress about the chain jumping. As I mentioned, the noise id minor and random at the moment.

Gary, 1968 Wildcat

I would suggest the timing chain should go safely, 100,000 to 120,000 miles.

Did the original owner say that it was the first time around on the odometer?

If it is the timing chain, perhaps you should do a compression test to get a good idea of the current condition of the motor.

430 engine

you might want to check the fuel pump before tearing into the timing. I have seen and heard the pump arm wear in the housing of the pump and make noise. The noise will travel and sound like the timing chain.

Thanks for the feedback. The engine is otherwise sound with good compression, oil pressure and a smooth idle. I have since learned that the timing gears are nylon coated and should probably be changed anyway regardless of mileage. The car still seems to have the original water pump and fuel pump as unlikely as that may be (based on the amount of grease on everything) so I will change them both when I do the chain. The only repair I have done so far is getting the gas tank done, rebuilding the front end and replacing the brakes with all new cylinders, master and hoses, carb overhaul, exhaust, and replaced all the fluids. Otherwise, it's still bone stock and untouched. The 86,000 miles jive with pedal rubber wear and the general condition of the car, but I can't be certain. I did get the impression that the previous owner was on the level, but he didn't keep any invoices to back up his claim. I did find an oil change sticker on the door jamb which showed 63,000 mi in 2005.

Gary

Last edited:
This is off subject from your thread, but I saw that you have a 68 430. I posted for info on the power steering pulley on the 68 430 and have gotten some good info so far....was wondering if you would have time to give me a description of your P/S pump pulley? Thanks alot.

P.S. pully

P5280021 (1).jpg[P5280022.jpgP5280023.jpg

QUOTE=rod61727;107268]This is off subject from your thread, but I saw that you have a 68 430. I posted for info on the power steering pulley on the 68 430 and have gotten some good info so far....was wondering if you would have time to give me a description of your P/S pump pulley? Thanks alot.[/QUOTE]

The pulley seems to be 5 1/2 inches across and here's some pics...

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response. That looks like part #1386935 which was described by another respondent. Apparently some had the holes in them and some didn't. Thanks again....really appreciate it.

View attachment 7929[View attachment 7930View attachment 7931

QUOTE=rod61727;107268]This is off subject from your thread, but I saw that you have a 68 430. I posted for info on the power steering pulley on the 68 430 and have gotten some good info so far....was wondering if you would have time to give me a description of your P/S pump pulley? Thanks alot.

The pulley seems to be 5 1/2 inches across and here's some pics...[/QUOTE]

Back