364 into '48 chevy 2-door sedan

Patrick (http://www.teambuick.com/forums/member.php?21834-plasmacutter94) could not seem to post in this section so I cut and pasted his PM here for him:

"I just purchased a 57-60 364 and I want to slip it into my '48 chevy 2-door sedan.

I was curious if anyone else had experience or had seen or could share images of such a combination. I also need to solve the tranny problem economically, so am open to suggestion, thought the 65-66 st400 sounds like the most economical, if I can find one.

It has a flex plate, but no ring gear or starter, and frankly, I haven't seen it in person. I bought it for $104.50 on ebay, with the thought that at worst, I could part it out if it was a boat anchor.

I'm in med school, so my timeframe is longterm, and I do random searches now and again as a break from studying. That's how I found this motor so close to home for what I think is a decent price.

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Btw, I come by my interest honestly; my dad has had railheads in his '57 chevy b210 wagon and 32 ford since the '60s.

Thanks
Patrick"

Last edited:
His problem was he hadn't activated his membership by confirming the email sent to him. I have moved him to registered, so he should now be able to post.:thumbsup:

Now I will move to the other section of my shop where there seems to be a trapped woodpecker! I don't think I want him for an overnight stay!

nailhead in the 48 Chevy

I have a website with Tech Info engine and trans swaps and lots of other info nailheadbuick.com .. Check it out and contact me with any questions. I have trans adapters and even a used st400 trans. FYI the 57-58 and 59-60 364 are not the same, the 57-58 has a cast iron timing cover, canister oil filter and short water pump (some of the differences) the 59-60 has aluminum timing cover, long water pump and spin on oil filter. Russ

Back