248 rebuild what pistons?

Hi All
I will soon have a shed for the first time in 12 years so i'm keen to get my Australian assembled 1946 model 40 back on the road.
I want to update the 248 with some higher compression (around 8.6 should do).
Does anyone have any recommendations in regards to pistons for the engine rebuild? I am hoping to create a road weapon with around 180hp at the flywheel when screaming at up to 4000rpm.
.Is this a practical aim that can be achieved by tidying up the ports and valves and regrinding the cam or am I dreaming?
Has anyone else bothered working a 248? As I am in Australia I don't have access to a 263 or a 320 over here as cars were not built here with these engines.
I am open to buying an already built 263 if someone sees a good one for sale that can be shipped to Australia.

180 Horses aren'tn't possible with the single carb and siamese intake and the small single exhaust.
Also our straight Eights are torque- engines, from there come the main power.
For powerfully 4000 rpm you need many rare parts to realize it.. especially on a 248 with the poor Oilfiltration.
First thing is,You must have the complete rare OEM Buick Compound Carburetion system for free brathering.
I would say, in your case, milling your head 0,15" ,yes, zero point 15 (if your rod - and main bearings are in good condition 😅) and that's it for a 248.
Like you said, the 263 (look for the same Transmission Type like yours) is the choice for power.., with the small compound Carburetion mounted.
320 doesn't work in your car..it's 4" longer than the 248/ 263.
Here in germany I have also big problems to find Straight Eight parts.. especially 263s.
You also must look in US for parts, like mine.
I'm also have an 263 in my 38 special Coupe.

180 Horses aren'tn't possible with the single carb and siamese intake and the small single exhaust.
Also our straight Eights are torque- engines, from there come the main power.
For powerfully 4000 rpm you need many rare parts to realize it.. especially on a 248 with the poor Oilfiltration.
First thing is,You must have the complete rare OEM Buick Compound Carburetion system for free brathering.
I would say, in your case, milling your head 0,15" ,yes, zero point 15 (if your rod - and main bearings are in good condition 😅) and that's it for a 248.
Like you said, the 263 (look for the same Transmission Type like yours) is the choice for power.., with the small compound Carburetion mounted.
320 doesn't work in your car..it's 4" longer than the 248/ 263.
Here in germany I have also big problems to find Straight Eight parts.. especially 263s.
You also must look in US for parts, like mine.
I'm also have an 263 in my 38 special Coupe.
I was thinking maybe a custom intake with 4 small SU carbs. I can fabricate this fairly easily with the tools I already have available. There are some good exhaust shops here in Western Australia so tube type headers are onlya matter of the right design and lots of money. 3800 rpm is probably a more realistic peak power rpm.
What brand of pistons did you use? Are you happy with them?

You won't have a lot of choice working on the old straight eights, egge.com supplies reliably good parts.

You also have the choice of custom built forged pistons from places like Racetec/Autotec. I have dealt with them MANY times for various rebuilds for custom pistons. The $$$ cost in comparison isn't that bad also when you take into consideraton what you may have to do when ordering off the shelf type pistons from places like Egge. With them you would be hard pressed to end up with the stock compression ratios with them.
IF your thinking along those lines I can supply you with a contact names/numbers.

Tom T.

Back