225 oiling

timk

Hope some one can help me.I have a buick 225 dauntless v6 oddfire in a jeep my problem is the right head was not getting any oil up to it,so I read and found out that they oil through a port in the front of the block and up a port in the head and into the first rocker pedestal and in to the rocker arms shaft.I took the head off and found that oil port was completely plugged I ran a drill bit through it ( the exact same size) and cleared it of the soft materiel that was in it.Then I bought a new rocker shaft rockers and pedestals assembly and put it in, now the head oils to much and pools oil up over the valve stems and it gets into the cylinders and smokes.I noticed that the rocker arm pedestal that is closest to the fire wall also has the same oil port.One of the questions I have is this a return port back to the crank case or is it just there. Seems like there is no place for the oil to return to the crank case util it gets high enough to flow through the passage ways that are up higher on the head.Or maybe there was some kind it restrictor that I drilled out. The other head dose not push oil out of the rocker shaft through the rockers like this head dose,I have read that the pedestals are interchangeable are the bolts that hold the pedestals down also interchangeable could that be the problem, the oil dose enter the supply pedestal around the pedestal bolt. Please help !

Check the Chassis Service Manual we have for 1967 in the Reference section of this site. There is a complete section on the 225 including the rocker arms and oiling system. There is a specific procedure for installing the rocker shafts according to the notch on the end. It can be backwards if done improperly. The picture of the oiling system for the 300/340 in the same manual is very similar to your 225.

Thanks for responding.The notch is toward the front of the engine (fan)on the right head and facing the back (fire wall) on the left head.Dose the hole in the head on the back pedestal lead back to the crank case so the oil in the rocker shaft has a place to go other then just out the rocker oiling holes into the head valley and out the 2 large pathways (front and back) of head to the crank case.I am wondering if the back pedestal hole is restricted if it is a path back to the crank case.

The rear passage to the rockers just dead ends at the head gasket. This way you can swap heads and still have an oil path to the rockers. Only the large passages return the oil to the crankcase. The manual shows the notch on the right (passenger) side rocker in the front of the engine pointing up and to the fender. While the notch on the left (driver) side rocker is shown in the rear of the engine pointing up and to the fender. The shaft notch can correct front or back on the correct side but still be upside-down.

Team Buick please help
what is the clearance supposed to be between the rocker arm and the rocker arm shaft on 1967 225 dauntless v6 odd fire ?

Greetings, all. New member here. I have a 1967 Buick 225 dauntless v6 oddfire in a boat. I have a problem that may be similar to timk's.

History: the boat and engine sat for 20 years, in a garage. I pickled the engine before this dormancy began, changing the oil and fogging the engine through the carb. Turned the engine over twice a year every year using a socket on the crank pulley nut. Rebuilt the carb and it started up quickly. But the oil pressure was high, about 40 psi at idle, and up to 80 psi at 4000 rpm. Engine was rebuilt 30 years ago, and they put in a “high volume oil pump”. It only has 200 hours on it since the rebuild. I don’t remember the oil pressure ever being high like this before storage, and I’m pretty certain I would have noticed something like that.

I’ve had the boat on the water and it seems to run as good as ever, except the high oil pressure. Yesterday I pulled the rocker arm covers. Things look brand new still, with zero sludge. I ran it on the trailer (drawing in cooling water of course), and the left side rockers were getting plenty of oil. The right side was oiling, but not nearly as much, and unevenly across the rocker pairs.

I’m guessing there is a blockage, but I’m surprised since things look so clean and brand new. I’ll check to see that the rocker shafts are installed correctly, but since there were no high oil pressure readings before storage, I think they are good.

Suggestions on where and how to look for blockages will be much appreciated.

THANKS! P51D

Greetings, all. New member here. I have a 1967 Buick 225 dauntless v6 oddfire in a boat. I have a problem that may be similar to timk's.

History: the boat and engine sat for 20 years, in a garage. I pickled the engine before this dormancy began, changing the oil and fogging the engine through the carb. Turned the engine over twice a year every year using a socket on the crank pulley nut. Rebuilt the carb and it started up quickly. But the oil pressure was high, about 40 psi at idle, and up to 80 psi at 4000 rpm. Engine was rebuilt 30 years ago, and they put in a “high volume oil pump”. It only has 200 hours on it since the rebuild. I don’t remember the oil pressure ever being high like this before storage, and I’m pretty certain I would have noticed something like that.

I’ve had the boat on the water and it seems to run as good as ever, except the high oil pressure. Yesterday I pulled the rocker arm covers. Things look brand new still, with zero sludge. I ran it on the trailer (drawing in cooling water of course), and the left side rockers were getting plenty of oil. The right side was oiling, but not nearly as much, and unevenly across the rocker pairs.

I’m guessing there is a blockage, but I’m surprised since things look so clean and brand new. I’ll check to see that the rocker shafts are installed correctly, but since there were no high oil pressure readings before storage, I think they are good.

Suggestions on where and how to look for blockages will be much appreciated.

THANKS! P51D

One place to look would be the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump. This valve should limit the oil pressure to 40 psi if it hasn't been modified. Maybe something has caused the valve to stick, resulting in high pressure. 80 seems pretty high even if it was modified by changing to a stronger spring. But like you say the high pressure wasn't apparent prior to storage.

Buick had a recall on early '64 225s and 300s for excessive oil pressure due to a defect in the casting passages around the pressure relief valve. It doesn't apply to your engine, but shows how to remove the valve while the pump is in place.

Getting the pressure back down probably won't cure the uneven flows at the heads however.

Attachments

• IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    672.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    550.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    593.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the info. The relief valve and spring looked brand new, squeaky clean, and slid out easily so I don't think anything was sticking there. My plan is to pull the rocker arm shaft and take a look there. As I understand it, pressurized oil is sent through that shaft to oil the rocker arms, shaft, valve springs, etc. What puzzles me is how anything can be clogged when everything I've seen on the internals is so incredibly clean. I used to work in an automotive machine shop in high school and college, and I've pulled apart a few hundred engines. I know where oil pools, what sludge looks like, and where it forms. I've seen no evidence of sludge so far.

Back