2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l automatic

Recently purchased this car w/ 37,000 miles , great shape , maybe 90% - 95% . Yes , I know , but the miles seem to check out on CarFax .

This car is larger & more comfortable than our 2015 Chevy Sonic , so we anticipate using it as a road car ( to visit family 2 hours or further away ) .

Though low miles , it has 11 years on it . Time & heat are the enemies of rubber & plastic and current cars use a lot of those 2 product , including under the hood .

So I started out to do some Preventive Maintenance , right off the bat . Service the fluids , replace serpentine belt , radiator hoses , heater hoses , air filter and since I would be draining & replacing the Dexcool coolant replace the thermostat & gasket .

Searching YouTube , I discovered a few things about this car & the 3.8l engine . Could not find the power steering pump . Well , maybe it had electric power steering was electric ? Like on our Sonic ? No , it is just put in a very inconvenient location , kind of under the serpentine belt , near the alternator .

Well , since I was going to remove the belt ( eventually the alternator too ) , I used the turkey baster on the PS fluid . ( Removing the alternator gave more room to get to the 2 heater hoses . )

Next surprise , I discovered 2 plastic coolant elbows are used & they crack / break / leak with time & heat . Might as well replace them .

http://www.rockauto.com/info/321/12565082_Primary__ra_p.jpg

Replaced them with 2 metal elbows .

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/GenuinePartsCompany/NWMDC?$Product=GenuinePartsCompany/1567885

Even though they looked OK , I was not going to not replace them .

The existing belt looked fine , but I did not reuse it . I installed the new belt and stuffed the old one in the trunk , as a spare .

The dealer promised to service the engine & it shows an oil change sticker on the windshield . So , have not changed oil / filter , yet . It does not call for Dexos oil , so I did find some jugs of Shell 5W-30 conventional oil on sale at Home Depot ( of all places ) for $ 10 a jug . I also picked up a filter at Walmart . Will probably order a half dozen filters from RockAuto.com .

Bought a cheap plastic transfer pump at harbor freight .

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html

Used it to remove a gallon of Dexron 6 from the automatic transmission & replaced it with 4 quarts of Dexron 6 . The old fluid did not smell burnt , but it was a little dark . May do it again after I do the first oil change . Does anyone know if the transmission filter is DIY serviceable ? ( I read the little 6 speed transmission on our Sonic is not ! :-( )

Have not found any grease zerts under the car , on the suspension . So , I have not greased anything .

By the way , I removed the battery tray & battery , to provide more space to get to the lower radiator hose & clamps ( have I mentioned I hate spring metal hose clamps ? ) . I scraped / wire brushed rust & corrosion from the battery tray & where it attached to the body . Not severe , but I figured I might as well do it while things were accessible . Painted things with a black Rust-Oleum Paint that was suppose to be a primer or something , over corroded parts .

One of the difficult aspects of this PM was spring clamps and figuring out the routing for the belt . No sticker under the hood & by this time several days had passed since I removed the belt .

Tires look almost new , as does then battery . Did have to replace the hood lift struts . Shocks / struts feel good . A/C cools , engine purrs . Have not tried the heat , yet . Radio plays well . Transmission shifts fine . Showing 18.1 MPH on the guess o meter , in town . One trip out of town about 50 miles each way . About 29.5 MPG one way & about 31 MPG the other way . On 86 octane E10 . Not as good as the 1.8l in the Sonic , but it is more roomy / comfortable . :)

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

Attachments

• 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX.jpg
    2006 Buick Lacrosse CX.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2
As to your question, filter is serviceable. I got mine from Napa for under 15 bucks, with new seal and gasket included. Love the lacrosse body style and ride. I got my 06 from where I work for $2k with 76k on it. The 3.8 will last you a long, long time.

Back