1969 Buick Electra 225 Custom Convertible - A/C and Heat vacuum hose issues

Appears someone and something has been under the dash of this car. My mechanic says the diagrams in the Fisher Chassis Service Manual don't match what he sees. I just bought this car out of a barn so we can speculate on the something, I think the former owner tried to fix things himself, the someone. This car has the optional heat and A/C where you just set the temperature. I cannot find any schematics for the vacuum lines on line. Seems a 1969 Buick luxo barge is a bit of an orphan in that regard. Any help in pointing us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Craig, I just joined as well and I'm having the same issues with my 1968 Wildcat. I have 2 rotary switches with one that should trigger the fan among other things (and sometimes does). I don't have a fan switch and all the many systems in the factory manual, seem to have a fan switch. Mine's an Alberta car and If your car was also sold in Canada, perhaps we got the econo A/c Heat version. If I find out anything I will let you know.

Gary '68 Wildcat

Automatic Climate Control system vacuum circuits

Here's the vacuum hose routing diagram 13-231 from the shop manual. The upper diagram applies to the Electra 225. Hope the hoses still have the color stripes intact.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 62
Not to hijack Craig's post, but I am having the same problem sorting out the heat/ AC on my car as well. The heater controls on the dash have only 3 cables going to it. No electrical connections or vacuum hoses. One of the cables, goes to a rats nest of vacuum hoses behind the glove box area. If I use the right rotary control, I can hear relays clicking and sometimes the heater fan will come on at low speed. I also heard a loud click under the hood and the AC compressor clutch engaged which is worrisome as the system is discharged
at the moment. This is telling me there is no compressor cut out for low refrigerant (Hi Low switch). I will have to add one when I deal with the AC. i've not found anything in the manual for this minimalist system with only 2 rotary switches. Any idea where I might look for a diagram for this set up?

Gary

Attachments

• P7170015 (1).JPG
    P7170015 (1).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P7170016.JPG
    P7170016.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 27
Gary,
There were only 2 types of systems offered for A/C cars, a manual and an automatic control. Despite the Spartan operator controls on yours, it is the premium automatic system. Based on the description, behavior, and pictures yours matches the Automatic Climate Control system except for the faceplate. Its function and troubleshooting are covered in the chassis shop manual beginning on page 13-84.

The faceplates on the 68s consisted of a thin painted aluminum applique applied over a plastic lens. These did not hold up well over time. By now many of these are pretty battered. Plastic replacements, at least for the manual control type, are currently available as an aftermarket item.

From the pictures it looks like someone has redone the faceplates on the dash. The clock has been replaced with gauges. The lettering on the cruise control and courtesy light switches is positioned differently and has a different font from the originals. Can't tell from the picture if the fiber optic indicator for cruise status is present. The markings on the A/C control are for the manual system. The script Climate Control lettering looks to be a paste-on label. It should read Automatic Climate Control. So maybe this a home-made faceplate on the A/C control that is causing the confusion.

If you would like, we can continue on with a new thread in the Climate Control forum. That way the topic will be easier to find should anyone else start searching.

Not to hijack Craig's post, but I am having the same problem sorting out the heat/ AC on my car as well. The heater controls on the dash have only 3 cables going to it. No electrical connections or vacuum hoses. One of the cables, goes to a rats nest of vacuum hoses behind the glove box area. If I use the right rotary control, I can hear relays clicking and sometimes the heater fan will come on at low speed. I also heard a loud click under the hood and the AC compressor clutch engaged which is worrisome as the system is discharged
at the moment. This is telling me there is no compressor cut out for low refrigerant (Hi Low switch). I will have to add one when I deal with the AC. i've not found anything in the manual for this minimalist system with only 2 rotary switches. Any idea where I might look for a diagram for this set up?

Gary
Looks like you are missing the fan switch and the switch to the right that is a mode selector. Do you have a compressor/evaporator?

Back