1966 Buick Riviera : Steering wheel

charlooze

Hi everyone,

The power steering on my Rivera is very well assisted, but is extremely imprecise. Especially at high speed, I sometimes scare myself if there is wind.
A rotation of the steering wheel of 20 degrees in both directions (on 360) is possible without changing steering direction !!
Is there a way to arrange that? What should I check first?

There is also another small problem, driving straight ahead, the steering wheel is turned to the right a bit. How to settle it? By dismounting the steering wheel?

Once everything is in order, I will redo again an alignment, because the car pulls on the left (especially when braking).

Thanks in advance.

I will redo again an alignment,
If you have had an alignment done, then, you need another alignment shop. There is no way someone who does alignments would, could let a car out with a problem anywhere near what you describe. I would not drive the car until it is solved.
It sounds like it could be anything from a worn out steering box, tie rod end, or other component.
Most people start with one person in the car (car on the ground) rocking the steering wheel left and right while another looks for the loose or worn component. (this may not show ball joint wear to well, but that is probably not the first problem).

Hi bob,
I missed to precise that all tie rod, and other "silent bloc" are full new. (the '66 ons were totaly over).

Sorry, I don't understand easily. I take it all the tie rod ends are new. Regardless, 2 people one looking through the steering assembly from the steering wheel on down while the other plays with the wheel should find the problem, is the steering box adjusted properly? The person watching should be able to notice a steering box that far out of adjustment. Is the idler arm holding the linkage stable?

Back