1961 Buick AC

lancer

Can anyone tell me where I can get a AC Compresssor for 1961 buick 401 engine or where I can get mine rebuilt? thanks

That was the last year for the 5-cylinder axial compressor and sources for service/parts are getting hard to find.

www.originalair.com shows listings.

There's more info available out there by Googling "GM A5 compressor rebuild"

Going from threads on other websites, the next generation compressor, the A6 is a good replacement. It was used from '62 to as late as '85.

As early as '63 Buick was supplying an A6 unit for compressor replacement on '58-'61 full-size models. That one is a part no 6550151. I am assuming that one had mounting holes to match the original A5 unit.

Lools like the the guys who have used typical A6 compressors have had to fab new mounting brackets for it. Apparently a pigtail adapter (still available) connects the plug on the A6 to the A5 harness.

There might be some chance your car already has an A6 on it if it ever needed a new compressor. Attached is a picture of the A6 from the '62 shop manual (11-33). For comparison is a page from the '61 manual showing the A5 (11-58).

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4
Back