1950 starting system dead

CALLBALD

When depressing the gas pedal the starting system is dead . electrically the horn and lights work fine. Is there a way to jump the starter switch on the carburetor. With the ignition key on. Under the hood, I normally can pull the accelerator throttle shaft and start the car. Right now the car starts once in a while

Sounds like your switch may not be in good condition. Many people wire past the accelerator and the carburetor switch with a push button under the dash. You can test the different switches by wiring past them. The wiring diagram is linked at the top of the page.

The switch on the carburetor can be repaired. Remove it from the carburetor and it can be disassembled allowing you to clean the switch contacts. While it is apart it is a good idea to gently expand the copper or brass moveable contactor. If you need further guidance, please let me know and I can provide step-by step pictures. I repaired mine and it has worked reliable since.

If this problem occurs when you are away from home, turn the ignition on then you can jumper across the two electrical contacts on the switch on the carburetor. This will start the engine the same as depressing the gas pedal.

Back