1940/41 intake manifold

G

Gunner

I have a '39 Buick bus coupe and am looking for a '40/41 dual carb intake manifold and any info regarding the install of the 40 manifold on the 39. I also am looking for information regarding 1938 floor mounted shifter and if it will work on the 39. Any help or feed back will be appreciated. This is the first forum I've participated in, so I don't know what to expect. This is also the first Buick that I have owned. It underwent a frame off resto from '93-'97 and all is like new, finished in black with brown mohair and leather interior. First thoughts were to resto rod it, but it's the nicest '39 Coupe anyone's seen, so that's out, but I would like to do some mod's using Buick gear and don't really know that much about the car! Thanks for reading my ramble...

The dual carb intake was used on the 41-42 Buicks only. It was optional on the special, and standard on all the rest. The Special and Super had 248 CI engines ,and the Century, Roadmaster and Limited had 320 CI engines. They used two separate manifolds. The 38 trans will fit the engine, but you may need to build a different mount.

Thanks for the quick reply and info, so I need to find a 41/42 248 CI intake manifold. Will an after market kit work for the trans conversion? I'd like to get the shifter back on the floor and finally, anyone make header(s) for the straight 8 or a split manifold?

The 41=42 Dual carb system has a unique exhaust manifold. It is actually two cast iron headers that originall are connected with a "Y" pipe. I have these manifolds on my 40 and ran dual exhaust pipes and it works great!The simplest way to get a floor shift is to use a Hurst shifter . That way you do not need another tranny, and you save money and time.

Thanks again, I've got some looking to do. The Hurst is easy, what about the intake and exhaust manifolds? Any ideas? Sent my membership to the BCA and I sent an email to the local chapter.
By the way, the gentleman I bought the '39 from has had over 100 Buicks in his time and currently owns 5, including a '55 convertible! I've got a '53 Merc sled w/flathead and a 1962 Ranchero that's waiting for me to start on it...thanks again for your help!

Back