A
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About Listings

• Sorry I could'ent get back sooner, I have'nt been around a computer much.
    mckustoms: Since there are no floor shifters made for Buicks of the 50's, you will have to buy something and make it work, or, make your own.
    frame30: With the black & white interior it's pretty easy, all the metal trim was gloss black. Unless the trim was surounded by white upholstery, in which case the part(s) would be painted white. kim
    Sorry I could'ent get back sooner, I have'nt been around a computer much.
    mckustoms: Since there are no floor shifters made for Buicks of the 50's, you will have to buy something and make it work, or, make your own.
    frame30: With the black & white interior it's pretty easy, all the metal trim was gloss black. Unless the trim was surounded by white upholstery, in which case the part(s) would be painted white. kim
    Dear Alley Cat: I understand that you have a good deal of information on the interior/exterior colours of the 1958 Buick. I have a Reef Coral Estate Wagon with black and white seats and a black dash. I am wondering what the paint colour is for the interior trim metal bits and pieces ... and the dash? As you know, there is a lot of metal trim on the inside. Look forward to your thoughts. Cheers. Michael.
    Hello, I have a 56 buick. 322, dynaflow automatic. Was wondering how hard it would be to convert to a floor shifter? Maybe a b&m quicksilver?
    Steve///
    On to your project. The dyna crank has a really big hole in the back for the nose of the dyna. You would have to machine up a insert and weld it in there, then drill for a pilot bushing. The crank must be out of the engine to do it. A simple port of the head, you could likely do it, gives big results. Yes, the 263 can take a serious overbore. But, when I did this sort of thing, blocks were everywhere, and to do it a block with little or no core shift and little corrosion in the water jacket as possiable. With a 51 block you may have a very good candidate. Get it stripped and a sonic check. The stock piston is not all that bad. But the old style rings are junk. Ross can make pistons. They are likely fairly heavy but I don't know a huge ammount about them. I'm making my own pistons, they likely won't be ready till next year. Get a 40-42 dual carb set-up. The engine will really like it. The stock Buick specs are very good, considering the oil of the time. Something to think about! Kim
    51 special; This is the first time I've gotten messages through the visitor message page, so we'll see how it works! So, yeah, the dissagreement between me and ole yeller go'es a ways befor the posts about the differences between the engines. He did'ent like the possibility that the 320 was a expansion on the 248 and that the 263 was a totaly new engine that would have most likely replaced the 248 and that a bigger version probably would have replaced the 320. He was of the notion that the 263 was a bored out 248, sort of a "cheeped out" 248, it's nothing of the sort. He kept after me to ''tell us all'' by all means! So I did. He did'ent like the out come, got pissed, called me one of them "know it alls" and left. I did'ent build the engine! Buick did! Life's tough! Because of the amt of characters we have to continue this on a 2nd posting. Kim
    alleycat-
    Continuing.
    2. The 263 will be overhauled (the car has 120,000 miles on it, the engime is likely original). I don't have the knowledge to do any head work, and know of no one who does, so I plan to leave it be, except for a valve job. Do you have any suggestions for directions I can give a machinist who will probably be wirking on his first I8, as to specifications, or should I just see that he has access to the stock specs?
    3. You have noted that a 263 will benefit from a significant ovebore and special pistons. Do you know of any such piston currently being made, by Egge or anyone else? If not, can you recommend someone with the capabilities, and suggest specs?
    Thanks for any information you can provide.
    '51 Special
    alleycat-
    I'm new here, and read the huge thread, including the (nasty) debate about which Buick I8 has the best potential. From my perspective the argument is not relevent. I have a 263 in a 51 special, and now have time to get it running. My goal is a driver. What I would like is 20 - 30 more horsepower without spending a lot of cash, and perhaps better fuel economy. I am neither a welder nor a machinest. Just a guy with a box of tools and some patience.
    My Buick has a dynaflow, works but leaks. What I plan to install a stock manual transmission. If you have the patience, you would do me a great favor by providing some advice.
    1. Is there any difference between the automatic and manual crankshafts other than the hole in the back for the pilot bearing/dynaflow nose? If not, do you think it would be any real challenge to convert the dynaflow crank to accept the pilot bearing? (As in, drill it out, sleeve if necessary, install bearing.) More in a minute.
    '51 Special
    Hello alleycat,
    I figure that you know the differences between a 37 and 47 buick 320 engine block. My 47 block melted down and I have a 37 block. Will it bolt in and what are the differences besides the flat pistons on the 37? I figure the 47 pistons will work?
    Thanks in advance - I'll try posting too...
    Speaking of posts I enjoy yours alleycat!
    Wishing you well.
    Don
    kim
    this is extremely funny while talking to my dad he finally asked your name so i told him and he hesitated for a second and said one moment slugger then he told ME your phone number he said he has called you a couple times at home and talked at length on some topics he just couldn't remember what the topic was, apparently you had an engine at a place called alternative blasters and he was there, and the guys there gave him your phone number. this is a very small world anyhow just wanted to share that with you, looking forward to talking to you more about the straight 8 engine, and other things i'm gonna need to know about the 48 buick roadmaster that i will some day have in my garage. talk to you soon
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back