Flywheel Cover -need help!

janeb23

Hi all,

I have a 52 Buick 263 Dynaflow that I am rebuilding. There was a sizable gap between tear down and build up, but I believe there is supposed to be a hunk of metal that sandwiches between the block and the bell housing. The shop manual does mention a "flywheel cover" and if so, I am missing it. Odds are I might have left it on when I took the block to the machine shop and that it came home without the part. Am I imagining things or does that part exist? And if neither I nor the machine shop can locate the part, does anyone have a lead on where to find one?

Thank you so much!

-Jane

There is a plate that sandwiches between the block and the flywheel and carries the starter. Refered to as Housing, Flywheel (Upper) part no. 1343543, used on 1950-53 263s.
go here: 1952 Buick Chassis Manual, Service on Engine Mountings, Flywheel and Housing
and then to page 2-54, figure 2-47 (first one).
Thank you Bob! I'll have to get on the horn with the machine shop and see if they have it. They took a year to finish the block (in my naivete I told them I was in no rush). Praying that over the course of that year it wasn't misplaced. This is my first rebuild and I believe I left the flywheel cover and the engine mount brackets (also missing) on the block when I dropped it off.

I don't know, and the number does not show in my book, which may not mean anything.
I guess they don' know what it's off?

Thanks again Bob, you're the best! Supposedly it's off of a 1950 Special with a Dynaflow (I think). Might just pull the trigger on it and cross my fingers -it's not too expensive and it seems to be a super difficult part to find!

Sounds like it should fit. The number group that I had started at 1950, so as long as it isn't a 320 from a Roadmaster, it should fit.

Back