54 322 Nailhead solid lifters?

wkristick

I removed the rocker assembly from my 1954 Buick 322 V8 cylinder head for a valve job. I expected to find hydraulic lifters. Did someone convert the lifters to solids or are they aftermarket? Pictures of push rod and lifter inside are attached. The lifters don't show much ware at the cam. Should they be replaced?
Walt

Attachments

• IMG-2456.jpg
    IMG-2456.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG-2457.jpg
    IMG-2457.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 12
Looks like it. I kept each rocker stud and nut with its corresponding push rod and lifter.

Attachments

• IMG-2462.jpg
    IMG-2462.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 15
Then it could be an export kit was installed at some point in the engines life. Do a search on "Export Kits" to see what they contained. It was MORE than lifters, pushrods & rocker arms.
Do you have the adjusting screws for the end of the rockers???

Tom T.

Then it could be an export kit was installed at some point in the engines life. Do a search on "Export Kits" to see what they contained. It was MORE than lifters, pushrods & rocker arms.
Do you have the adjusting screws for the end of the rockers???

Tom T.
Thanks Tom. I do have the adjusting screws and nuts for the end of the rockers. I never heard of an export kit before. I did some searches as you suggested. The export kit (Buick High Power Equipment Package) contained a solid lifter cam, hollow valve lifters, longer push rods, adjustable rockers, and maybe high compression pistons. When I pull the cylinder heads, I'll see if the pistons are different from stock. The engine was running well when removed from a 1934 Ford coupe. As always, I appreciate your help. Walt

Back