1966 Wildcat 2 door Sport Coupe

So, today I was driving down Mayor Magrath (Our main north-south corridor) and an older gentleman in a Dodge Rumblebee pickup pulled up to next to me at the light. He complimented the car asked a few questions, then, as the light turned, asked me if I wanted to trade for a 1965 Mustang. Now, a few years back, if you had asked me if I wanted a 1965 Mustang, I would have drooled saying yes please. Today though, I shook my head and said "No Thanks, I love my car." This isn't the first time this has happened, but it is the first time that anyone offered me a Mustang, my previous dream car. The thing with Mustangs, common as grass. Wildcats..... no nearly so. I do love my obscure car.

Today, after my Son woke up and took his kids around 10:30 (Mom is in the hospital, not COVID-19), and taking a load of garbage to the dump, I worked on my car for 3 hours. I started by removing everything from the trunk and checking it out. Definitely need to strip and paint the floor. I sprayed all of the nuts inside for the letters and rear chrome trim with penetrating oil. After waiting a little, while straightening out the tool box, I started removing the letters. The two Wildcat words on the sides, all individual letters, came nicely. I removed the chrome trim from the back of the trunk and then worked on the Wildcat letters on the trunk. Easy Peasy, until I came to the D, right in the middle. Nice, the trunk locking mechanism was in the way. Okay, it's only 3 bolts. Well, that started, not, now, how to get this pin out of the middle. I guess I need to remove the lock. Now, how...... must be below this little plate. Remove the screw and small bolt... and... not a plate. Now what?????? On a whim, I pulled on it, hmmm, it's a plate that releases the lock. Pull the lock and the latch, get the rest of the letters and go to put the lock back together. It was at this point, I could swear I heard my Dad "When you put that back, I want it to look and work like new." (Don't you hate it when that little voice, from 30 years ago, won't keep quiet?) Okay Dad, I brushed the lock and latch mechanisms clean, oiled it and looked. Not quite like new, but clean and working well. I then tackled the side chrome moulding along the side of the trunk. Have to remove the chrome from the wheel well first. Darn, those screws were sticky. Penetrating oil again! Now I have the side moulding from the trunk off, look at the clips. Definitely have seen better days. That explains why the trim was never tight to the body in places. Look up the clips, find them, well, universal ones online. 5 for 9.95. I will look local first, but the original ones are not going back on the car! Next, back seat and doors, but tomorrow, my wife has me building shelves.

Everyone have a good night and stay safe and healthy. As they say, we are all in this together!

As long as you have the trunk lock cylinder out replace the gasket behind it before you put it back in.
Trim items are seldom difficult to remove as generally they are dry and use "speed nuts" a stamped sheet metal fastener with an extremely coarse or "fast" thread. Removing them is rarely a problem however it's when they're replaced guys have a problem. Most who are unexperinced with them tend to overtighten. They should be little more than hand tight as trim pieces are generally pot metal which is very weak. They're not a mechanical item and don't need to be torqued in place. If using a socket on an extension to reach them don't use the ratchet to tighten just use the extension as a nut driver. Ask me how I know Chuck.

Sorry, time was short earlier. Demanding toddler and baby. Being Gampy is a full time job. I started building a console for my car today. I didn't like how the stereo was, my fault, I built the first one and didn't really think it through. There is a speaker box for the 2 front speakers at the front by the firewall, with the gauges up in front of them. The console is going between it and the seat. The stereo will go in on an angle, then a bank of 4 - 12 volt plugs and 1 USB, then 2 cup holders. My wife found a cup holder already built, I just have to drill a cup sized hole and glue it in. It holds 2 cups, or in my case, cans of diet coke.

I really appreciate any advice on the work. I noticed that the trim holders had plastic nuts on them. Good clue that you should not over-tighten them. The letters were held on with the nuts that are hollow, very thin. A few were missing, so I will have to source them as well. This is the part that takes time, since I have to wait for the penetrating oil to work. I don't want to ruin anything. I know that is setting a high bar for a 54 year old car, but.... do the best I can.

Well time to be Gampy again. Goodnight all.

While I am up north, Ray says that he will ask his brother Gordon to weld a new piece of steel into the trunk of the car. The body mount on the passenger side has some rust holes and we are going to cut it out and replace it. Safety first! I found this out while changing out my coils. I saw carpet and thought "That's not right?" In the end, I am glad I caught it now before it became a significant problem. Until then, I put some metal over the holes and silicone it down. Not structural, but keep moisture out of the trunk. We are probably going up in two weeks and will take care of my baby then. Ray can't help me because he has to have heart surgery to replace a leaking valve that was put in around 7 years ago. Until that it done he is forbidden to do any work. I will not be letting him work on the car. I know him, he will want to help. I will tell him that I need advice, not help.

Hi Chuck, I just joined this forum and I stumbled across your thread. I've really enjoyed it. I have a 19y2 Lesabre that's been in my family since new. I recently inherited it from my deceased brother. He was disabled and the car was his pride and joy. Like you he he had limited ability and resources. Don't let that discourage you. I would encourage you to get a proper manual for your car (if you haven't already). Theres a ton of basic stuff that you can do that will enhance reliability. Also, the manual speaks I very plain term that will teach you a lot about you car. Best of luck, keep up the good work.

Hello Back. I have purchased the manuals on DVD for the Wildcat. As you say, there is a ton of basic stuff I can do. I hired a mechanic to ensure that the car was safe and running properly as I didn't want to become a hazard on the road. I really love my old Buick Wildcat. When Ray gave me the car, my wife thought that this was going to be a 20 year project. I am not built that way. If I own it, it has to be right. Really not certain why she thought this project was going to be any different? I have $2000 Canadian worth of primer, paint and clear coat sitting in my living room, just waiting for the trip north. I also has a belt sander, a dual action sander, sanding block, clean rags, and, hopefully, energy. Unfortunately, since my accident, that can be in short supply. I am blessed with an awesome family of in-laws though. Thanks for the encouragement, as a novice (want, how did I advance from clueless to novice?), I really do appreciate any and all advice.

Keep safe and healthy, you and your family. We will all get through this pandemic together and enjoy our babies (both cars and real ones. In this case, my Grandchildren).

Chuck

Well, I have most of the side chrome removed. I haven't done the fenders yet as you have to remove them to get at the chrome nuts. I have polished the chrome and re-done the striping on it. I know for it to be perfect, I would have to send it out to be re-chromed, but, I think it looks pretty good. I have multiple cuts on my arms and wrists. I looks like I was trying to do myself in. I tell people that the car hates me and bites me as often as it can.
The bottom piece was cleaned last year. The top piece has been cleaned and chrome polished. I then added pinstriping for the red and black strips.
Chrome trim.jpg

Hello Chuck I enjoy reading your posts and seeing what you are up to with your 1966 Wildcat. I also have a 1966 Wildcat 2 door hardtop, (same as yours). It would make an ideal part car for you as I have no use for it. The car is complete and while I have not tried to start it in recent time, I am sure that it would be OK. Please get back to me if you are interested and I live in South Dakota. Thanks John

Hello John. While I appreciate the offer, I cannot afford, nor do I have anywhere to store a parts car. Also, I got "The Look" when my wife read the email. I really do appreciate the offer, and, if I had a place, I would find a way to make it work. I would put it on classified. I am certain that it should sell. Thank you for the offer.

Chuck

Well, the car is painted and all of the rust cut out and new (well, from a 1964 Lincoln) tell welded in. There were 5 holds in the back window frame. Both front trunk body mounts were pretty much gone, the drivers side wheel well into the trunk and the bottom right behind the passengers rear wheel was pretty much Swiss cheese. All cut out, ground to good metal and new welded in. Gordon found some channel steel from the dump (yup, the dump!) that made great body mounts. Much thicker steel that was ever on the car before. All the small dents filled and sanded. Repainted with Mulsanne Blue and Brilliant White on the roof. i have the greatest in-laws on the planet.

On the rainy trip home (750 km, approx 450 miles), the wiper motor decided it was done. The alternator gauge went from 14 volts to 12 volts when i tried to turn them on again halfway home. Uh-oh. We drove for another two hours with me following my wife and our trailer (Well, what I could see of it anyways) for about another 2 hours until we came to a campground. During this time, it rained on and off. It wasn't too bad, except when a rig when by the other way. We camped for the night and finished the trip the next day. Still raining when we drove home, off and on.:oops:

When I got home, I ordered a new wiper/washer mother off eBay. It is an exact replacement, same year and everything. I found a rebuilt on.... $450 US :eek:. Nope, can't do that. It shipped today, from an auto wreckers who sells on eBay, go figure? Until it gets here, good weather car only.

My car got 25 MPG (Canadian, 21 US MPG). I am really happy with that. This was driving at 90 KPH (55 MPH). It was raining with no wipers after all. I did find where the motor is leaking while up there... rear seal. I will order one and Gordon said this fall, when we go back up we will replace it.

Well, that's about all for now. I will attach a few pictures showing some of the work and finished product.

Attachments

• 20200613_131851_1500x1125.jpg
    20200613_131851_1500x1125.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200614_111650_1125x1500.jpg
    20200614_111650_1125x1500.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200616_123715_1500x1125.jpg
    20200616_123715_1500x1125.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00764_1500x1125.jpg
    DSC00764_1500x1125.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00779_1500x1125.jpg
    DSC00779_1500x1125.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00771_1500x1125.jpg
    DSC00771_1500x1125.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00766_1500x1125.jpg
    DSC00766_1500x1125.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00862_1500x1125.jpg
    DSC00862_1500x1125.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01149_1500x1125.jpg
    DSC01149_1500x1125.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Nice color! Very close to what I had planned to do with mine. It looks sort of matt finish in the second to last pic. The last pic looks shiner. Do you still have to buff it? These cars always have more rust than you think once you get the grinder out. Glad to see you replaced metal with metal.
Have fun doing the last installation on the trim bits, always my favorite part after paint.

I spent a few hours replacing the trim on the car. I really enjoy seeing the car coming together. I used my polisher to buff the paint, this made it look smoother. As Gord says, once a month has passed and I can wax the car, it will look even better. Poor Gord had trouble painting the car. Ray's spray gun... first was stuck solid. The second, after Gordon and I cleaned it, it wouldn't pick up paint. Gord thinks that he cleaned it too well, must have cleaned out a seal. His neighbour had a gun, once again in serious need of cleaning. When he painted the clear coat, it spurted some blue on the white. Really frustrating for Gordon. We finally got it done and came home, another adventure. I rested a few day, then today started putting things back together. Gord might not have been happy with the job but with the troubles he had, I am immensely grateful. I went out and purchased a new paint gun for Ray since his stopped working while we were doing my car. My Dad always told me that if you borrow something, give it back in better condition than you got it. since we couldn't get the gun working, I get him a new gun.

I love the look of my car and have been getting quite a few looks and comments on her. You don't see them around, like you do Mustangs, Corvettes, Chargers, new and old. Wildcat's, there is one other in Lethbridge, a newer convertible.

Well, everyone have a good, safe night.

Chuck

There are several good compounds you can use level the paint a bit before you throw wax at it. Others here are far more versed in what grit/technique you could use to get some more shine out of the paint/Clear. The original paint on mine is gone beyond redemption (now called patina) and the motion of polishing, machine or hand, seems to cause my shoulders to act up for some reason. (oh yeah, I'm old) I think if you post in the body/Paint forum, I'm sure some guru could help you get some more shine outta the girl.

https://www.teambuick.com/community/index.php?forums/body-and-paint-shop.74/

Last edited:
I am right there with you on the old thing. Today I started to wet sand the car with 1000 grit. I completed the top of the trunk and beside the trunk, the piece behind the rear window and the drivers rear quarter panel, then I was done in. It didn't help that it was 28 C (about 85 F) with no shade. I was raised in a cooler climate where 75 F was a hot day. I am sitting here hot, and it's only 22 C (approx 72 F). I will do the car a bit each morning, then again with 2000 grit. After that, I have a polisher with Maguires Ultimate compound. I have used it before. I will follow this up with Maguires Mirror finish. Fist though, I found two chips from the trip home. Must be what I heard while driving in the rain. Without wipers though, I had bigger concerns right then.

Well, it's bed time for Chucky. I have an 8 AM appt for my F150. Check engine light. Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 sensor low voltage.Goodnight all and, keep safe.

Chuck,

Just to let you know I've looked over EVERY post since the beginning.. It's ALWAYS a great feeling when you get sometthing done & accomplished. Better yet when it gets done correctly.
Are you having fun yet???

Tom T.

Thanks Tom.

For the next week she is hiding under her car cover. Here is Lethbridge, we have Canada's Worst Driver. That is a television show here in Canada where they find the worst drivers. All time worst.... Lethbridge. The rest of the drivers in our city aren't much better. With ice on the streets, there isn't a hope I would subject my car to it. My F150 has 4x4. I am having fun with this project. Before this, if I had an old car, it was because I couldn't afford to buy something better. Now, with my Wildcat, there is nothing better, in my opinion anyway. I have many more plans for for it, such as a new headliner, an engine rebuild, new ralley rims... All in good time though.

Thank you for your kind words. You have a good evening and please stay safe from this virus.

Chuck Bridges

Back